The hard part of owning your own practice is that often the boss is the problem.
What is the boss of a medical practice supposed to do? A boss is supposed to:
1. Build a great team.
2. Ensure everyone is doing what contributes the highest value possible to the organization, including you.
3. Processes are checked for integrity (eg. auditing for errors – how many times did the front not collect the coinsurance payment due at checkout).
4. Identify the performance gaps and make plans to remedy them in the areas of clincial operations, billing , marketing, IT and accounting.
5. Keep track of the results.
6. Outsource as much as possibel without sacrificing quality of care or financial efficiency.
So what activities do you do that bring the most value to your organization? What are you going to stop doing because it is an inefficient use of your time?
David Zahaluk, MD is a revenue enhancement specialist for doctors and the author of “The Ultimate Practice Building Book.”